Veteran Affairs

United States’ Veterans

Northwest Technical Institute is approved for veteran’s benefits as a training facility for eligible veterans, service persons, and widows and dependents of veterans. Eligibility and equivalent educational benefits are determined by the Veterans Administration (VA). The office of the Certifying Official coordinates NWTI’s services to the students attending classes and receiving veteran’s educational benefits. The Certifying Official collects, completes and processes the required substantiating documentation. In addition, the Certifying Official offers information about services on campus to assist with educational, career, personal and financial concerns. The office also serves as a point-of-contact and direct liaison between the veteran, the School and the Veterans Administration. The certifying official is not part of the Veterans Administration, but an employee of Northwest Technical Institute.


To be eligible for educational benefits, a student must be admitted to a curriculum program and have high school transcripts, all college transcripts, a copy of his/her DD214, a request for educational benefits, and admissions documents on file with the School’s Certifying Official.

Application for Veteran’s Benefits

VA applications are designed to obtain the necessary information to determine your eligibility for educational assistance. Student may apply for education benefits at any time. Information regarding eligibility, applications, and certification may be obtained from the Veterans Administration (1.888.GI.BILL.1). Students should complete the VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) located on the VA website at VA Benefits and Health Care Website .

Types of Education Assistance Programs

  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11/2001

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® 

  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Chapter 35 Dependents Assistance

  • Chapter 1606 Select Reserve

  • Chapter 1607 REAP Active duty after 9/11/2001

    *GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)  
    More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at VA Benefits and Health Care Website

Certificate of Eligibility

Once the Department of Veteran’s Affairs has received the student’s application and all the necessary documentation, the claim will be processed. Veterans and eligible dependents will receive notification of this action in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate will indicate the type of benefit you are entitled to, the number of months you have to use your benefit and the date your benefit will expire. Northwest Technical Institute’s Certifying Official will need a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to certify the student’s school attendance.

Tuition and Fees

Northwest Technical Institute requires all students receiving VA benefits to make arrangements for payment of tuition and fees before the certifying official will certify enrollment at the School.

Enrollment Certification

Northwest Technical Institute’s Certifying Official reports all the information regarding a student’s enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Any changes in enrollment are electronically submitted to the VA. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 are required to confirm their enrollment status to the VA at the end of each month.

No paperwork will automatically be prepared and forwarded to the Veterans Administration for processing and payment without the student’s request.

Audits, Withdrawals, Non-required Courses and Repeating a Course

The VA prohibits payment for any course that is not required for graduation. This includes repeats of a grade “D” or better (unless a higher grade is required), withdrawals. This does not apply for courses that you failed and must have for graduation. If you are unsure if a class can be certified, please contact our offices at 1 (479) 751-8824 ext. 240.

Changes in Student Status

All students using education benefits from the VA are required by law to keep Northwest Technical Institute’s Certifying Official informed of all of the following:

  • Periods of enrollment

  • Audits and withdrawals

  • Change of major

  • Curriculum year changes

  • Course substitutions

  • Address change

Dropping the enrolled credit load below the minimum requirements shown above may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. Several different methods are used to collect over-payments. A statement of mitigating circumstances and supportive documentation may need to be submitted to the Veterans Administration.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Veterans Administration regulations, 38 CFR Section 21.4253 (d) (4) require all VA students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress while attending an education institution. All students receiving education benefits from the VA are required to maintain academic progress according to the standards established by Northwest Technical Institute. Northwest Technical Institute’s Standards of Progress are submitted to its accrediting agency, Council on Occupation Education, and the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. Students who do not maintain satisfactory progress will have their benefits discounted and/or suspended and the Certifying Official will inform the VA of this action. The VA will determine the conditions for reinstatement of benefits.

General Information

  • The Veterans Administration Educational Benefits are paid on a monthly basis. Students are required to pay tuition and fees to Northwest Technical Institute at the time of registration.

  • Veterans Administration programs and policies and Northwest Technical Institute services and procedures frequently change. Students should maintain contact with the Certifying Official’s office.

  • Student’s enrollment will be certified by semester.

  • If a student withdraws from Northwest Technical Institute, drops a course that changes his/her training time, or changes their program of study, he /she should contact the Certifying Official’s office about the necessary forms to complete. ​​​

Veteran Affairs Contact

Melissa Greenslade
Director of Student Services
(479) 751-8824 ext 240